Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Finding Out & Telling Eric

I don't think I ever posted about this, but if I did, please forgive me, I am a bit forgetful lately.  Sorry for the length of this post, but I wanted to share it all!

I had always planned that when I became pregnant, I would tell Eric in a creative way we would both remember- I just never pictured me hovering over the toilet with a stick in my hand- but I had never thought about specific ways to do it.  Back in November, I hadn't been feeling very well and was having trouble getting over a sinus infection (had to go through 2 different prescriptions before that finally ended), and I just knew something was off.  So, I bought one of those 2 pack pregnancy tests and took one in early November and it was negative- whew, a feeling of part-relief and part-sadness washed over me, because my mind had been running though the what-ifs, but with midterms looming, I knew it was for the best.

I had never been very regular, so when Friday, November 13 (YES, Friday the 13th) rolled around and still nothing (still not over the sinus infection either), I decided to take another one that night, especially since I was about to drink a beer- yeah, I'm still waiting on that one.

Well, this one came back positive.  OK, bring on the panic attack/freak out/excitement feeling.  It's 9:00 p.m. on a Friday and I knew Walgreens was opened until 10:00 p.m. just down the road.  So, I try to calm down and run into the den where Eric is watching TV to tell him that I had to go to the drugstore, but he decided to be all nosy.  Here's the back and forth that followed:
     Me: I'm going to run to Walgreens- do you need anything?  
     Eric: Why?
     Me: I'm going to grab a few things.
     Eric: What?
     Me: Umm... medicine!  I know you haven't been feeling good so I am going to get you some sinus meds.
     Eric: I'm OK, don't need any tonight. It's late so we can go tomorrow.
     [in my mind at this point, I'm like 'really...you can't just let me go without the 20 questions', but I know he was worried because he could tell something was up- my face being ghost white was probably a give away]
     Me:  I don't want to tell you why- but I'll be right back. (yes, I know I could have been more creative, but my mind wasn't exactly in its finest working mode at this point]
     Eric: Why are you going?
     Me: Do you really want to know?  Fine, tampons! (I pulled out the big guns- the dreaded word that usually puts an end to the conversation)
     Eric- No, you're not.

OK, at this point, I was shaking and just gave up trying to fib (yes, technically a lie, but its not really a lie when its in their best interest, right?).  I just said: FINE, I'M GOING FOR A PREGNANCY TEST. 
His exact response: GO, HURRY!... you want me to go too?! (No.)

Please note that I did not tell him about the 1st positive test.  So, off I run to Walgreens, and of course, no store brand for me (for the first time ever), I was getting the EPT: ERROR PROOF TEST.

I get home and run to the bathroom, where Eric is already hovering.  I made him get out and then did my business, and put IT down to wait (yes, mean ole me let him come back in right after).  Then, we left the room for a few minutes and sat down (standing was not an option for me either of us at that point).

We tiptoe back in, like we might scare it or something, and look down, and its another Positive.  He starts laughing, I start crying.  While he just stares at it and laughs, I go get the other one and show it to him.  He stopped laughing- then I explained that I had already taken one before I left the house (like I am ever going to believe just one).  Then he started laughing again- I think it was shock, he wasn't laughing at me or anything, plus I think he was already genuinely excited. 

So, I start looking for the 3rd one because I am still not totally believing it, but Eric wisely stopped me and said wait until the morning, just in case.  We just sat there in silence for awhile, then went to lay down and talk and think, still in shock mostly.  We thought about possible due dates but really had no idea when it would be, but figured out real fast it was most likely around the time I was taking the Bar exam.  Fresh tears for me- I can't explain them, it was part shock, part panic, part excitement, mostly freak out.  I wasn't sad, just unprepared because we weren't trying.  Of course, I wanted to run back and take the third test, but we agreed to wait, and just go to bed early instead.

About 3 minutes, 14 seconds of sleep later, it was morning and I jumped up and ran to the bathroom- yeah you try to sleep with all that running through your head.  I'm pretty sure I woke Eric up for the test but if not, defintiely for the results, and of course 3rd positive means this is no mistake.  All weekend, I was pretty sick with the sinus infection, and no sleep didn't help.  We decided to wait a while before telling anyone else, because we didn't know how far along I was, didn't want to tell people and then something bad happen, etc.  From the very beginning, Eric was so excited, happy and supportive about our wonderful news, and it helped calm me down and start just being excited!

Monday morning at 7:30 am I was in my primary care doctor's office, wanting a blood test confirmation (yes, I guess I am slightly stubborn).  He laughed at me and said three tests is a pretty good indicator, so we won't be doing another pee test, but we would do a full blood work up so my numbers would be the most up to date.  He gave me a list of medications I can and cannot take, a prescription for prenatal vitamins and sent me on my way to call with instructions to make an appointment with my obstretrician..... and many months later, here we are, very close to meeting our sweet baby girl!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, that sounds about right! I think I took about 5 tests myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you won't freak out any less with the second, third, or even fourth one :)

    ReplyDelete