Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Savannah's Birth Story


Together with our doctor, we decided to induce labor on November 14 if she hadn't arrived by then. And of course she didn't, so...



Here we are about to head to the hospital to welcome sweet baby girl!


And for old time's sake, one last belly shot at exactly 39 weeks!

The night before we went into the hospital we got the call that I was to arrive by 4:30 the next morning.  Which meant I woke up at 1am and never went back to sleep!  Eric woke up early too and we were on our way.  Luckily, my mom stayed with Audrey and once she woke up, took her to my aunt's house and then mom joined us at the hospital.

Because of my little slip and fall a few weeks back, I was preregistered and we got into a room in no time.  They started my pitocin at 5am and I was still at 3cm when they checked me after.  My doctor came in around 7:30am to break my water and I went ahead and requested my epidural. Well, things never go quite as planned and my doctor was unable to break my water because Savannah was in the way, but they still put in my request for the epidural (with Audrey I had to wait forever on the anesthesiologist so I was not taking any chances this time!) 

At 8:15am, the anesthesiologist came in to do my epidural and when I sat up for that, my water broke! Well, I wasn't sure at first because I honestly thought I peed myself a little since it was not much fluid. But once he finished and I laid back down I felt the gush and I told my nurse.  She checked me before putting in my catheter and I was 4cm.  Only the left side of my epidural took (just like with Audrey), so I got a second dose at 9:30am and had to lay on my right side.

A few hours later, my mom, dad, step-mom, brother, sister and my mother-and father-in-law were all up at the hospital so I sent them all out to get lunch, including Eric.  I knew I was not progressing very fast and I was exhausted.  At 12:20pm, the nurse checked me and I was just 6cm, so she increased my pitocin because I was starting to have longer stretches between contractions.  My doctor came in at 12:30pm and we decided to place an inner uterine device to measure my contractions internally since I wasn't progressing as quickly as she had thought.  It would not touch the baby, just me, so I was fine with it, especially since my epidural was fully working by then.  She went to get the device and I texted everyone at 12:36pm to not rush since I was just a 6.

They must have been on their way back because luckily they were all there by 12:50pm, when my doc came back to place the device.  I let my mom, sister and mother-in-law stay in the room AT MY HEAD for this.  The doc said she would check me first and if I was a 7, then we wouldn't place it since there would have been progress.

She checked me and said "You're fully there", and I said "I'm a 7?".  "No, you're fully there," and I thought she meant I was fully effaced.  She finally had to say "You're having your baby, you're a 10!" before I finally got it and started crying.  I even said "Are you sh---ing me?" and she said no, I'm not sh---ing you!  She didn't even want to leave the room I was so close to having her!

So everyone but Eric got the boot, and as they were breaking down the bed, the doctor said she thought the only thing holding in her head was the catheter! Apparently my epidural was so strong I couldn't even feel that!  I was very lucky just like with Audrey and pushed through 2 contractions and at 1:05pm on November 14, 2013 Savannah Lynne Huber joined our family!  I will never forget the doc telling me to open my eyes and meet my daughter!!






I have nicknamed her my little blueberry for two reasons- one because I craved frozen blueberries the last 2 months of pregnancy and two, because she came out looking like one!  She had alot of bruising on her head and face, plus she was not crying much so it took her awhile to pink up.  The nurses suctioned and suctioned the poor thing but she just wasn't in the crying mood I guess!  I know she was sideways during delivery so maybe that's what caused the bruising, but luckily it was mostly gone by the next day.

 And here are pics of everyone meeting Savannah for the first time!







We love you Sweet Savannnah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment